Follow us on Google+

Thursday, August 16, 2018

The Police-1979

The Police -Peel 1979- Stewart Copeland drumming.

The thing with the Police I am old enought to remember when Sting was so up himself in terms of the message and politics of the music. So normally you overlook what was obvious, that you can be blinded by the messages but overlook the music.
I think many of us , over the age of 40 can remember the Police and how big they were aroun the early 1980s. When I was at University I had people come up to me, ‘this album is brilliant, you should listen to it’. I was a bit dubious. The Police and sting brought to mind Save the rainforest and a sort of AOR rock that I dispised.
I was given two albums to listen to ‘Syncronocity’ and ‘ Ghost in the machine’. I have to say when I herd ‘Syncronicity’ I was like that tracks good, then it was followed by an album filler. Then you realised on the Police’s timeline they were close to breaking poing at that time. With ‘Ghost in the Machine’ that just shocked me, its probably a snaphot of the band at their prime in terms of power.
The main thing I cant get over is how complex the drumming is on some tracks, almost using every part of the drum kit and filling in the gaps of the sound. As for Andy Summer’s guitar work its complex as well in terms of how its played but fits in with the song.
I am posting a three tracks. the first is the ‘Peel Session’ from 1979. ‘The Beds to big without you’ is Copeland at his best. The other two tracks are isolted guitar mixes of hi tracks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment