Follow us on Google+

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Cocteau Twins - Melonella _OTBT (97)



Cocteau
Twins – Melonella((1985)


This
is a track from the EP called 'Echoes in a Shallow Bay', which was
the first proper independent record I
brought. With the Cocteau Twins they had such complex music, in that
the lyrics were indecipherable but worked
and the guitar and bass was so layered, you could hear something new
with each listen. I look online now and there is an unhealthy
obsession with Liz Fraser and the band getting back together. What
made the Cocteau twins so great at the time was that they were
creating this other worldly music, but were down to earth in their
interviews and not aloof like some of the Gothic
bands of the time. I think some people much prefer the 'heaven and
Las Vegas' album but for me its 'Head Over
Heels' era and the 85-86 releases. They split up 22 years ago but
what a legacy of music to leave behind.

Lastly
I notice in the clip that they use Cabaret Voltaire clips. Why I'm
not really sure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment